Preview Mode Links will not work in preview mode

Unseen is an immersive soundwalk from Culture.pl which reimagines places which have been lost on the map of Warsaw, Poland.

Season 1 concentrates on the Interwar period and the area that is now Defilad Square and the Palace of Science and Culture.

Season 2, made in partnership with the Warsaw Rising Museum, is all about the most daring stories from the Warsaw Uprising, which took place over 63 days from August 1st to October 2nd 1944.

Season 3 is about the most significant locations from the Jewish history of Warsaw, a city that at its peak saw a third of its citizens identify as Jews.

Nov 23, 2021

The Great Synagogue was built between 1876 and 1878 according to a design by Leandro Marconi. Warsaw’s largest Jewish temple housed an impressive 2,200 seats.

The grand opening took place on 26th September 1878 and was attended by many guests, including the city authorities. The sermon, in Polish, was delivered by...


Nov 23, 2021

Pasaż Simonsa (Simons’ Passage) owes its name to the German industrialist and building’s owner Albert Simons. The building complex consisted of two sections. The first part started being used in 1903, and construction as a whole was completed in 1906.

The first building was in the shape of an arc that ran...


Nov 23, 2021

Michał Weichert, a lawyer, but also an avant-garde director and theatre theoretician, lived at 8a Długa Street from the mid-1930s. A figure of great merit for the history of Yiddish and Polish theatre, he founded the Young Theatre (Yung-Teater).

Originally hailing from Galicia, the Polish territory partitioned by...


Nov 23, 2021

In the Jewish cultural memory, 13 Tłomackie Street is the address of the worldwide embassy for Yiddish literature, a kind of British Council or Goethe Institute, as well as the Ministry of Diasporic Culture and the Cultural Parliament in one.

This ‘global address’, as the journalist Jecheskiel Najman called it,...


Nov 23, 2021

The first issue of the Haynt Zionist daily was published on 22nd January 1908, while the last issue came out on 22nd September 1939, shortly before the capitulation of Warsaw.

Around 300 issues were published annually from Sunday to Friday, both in Warsaw as well as in other local versions. All of them were edited...